Thursday, August 15, 2013

How to Sell A Pre-Owned Car on Craigslist

Here are the steps I took to sell the car. I'll post links to each section for discussions that I write. For now, just use my ad and photos as an example when you do not see something written. Also, please comment on a question that I do not make sense. Thank you!

The story is changed for things I could also tell you that what I actually did. You get the benefit of reading on my mistakes so that you will not do the same. Let me know if you make new mistakes or disagree with my advice in the comments to any post.

Here are the detailed messages that I work. If there is no link, I have not written yet.

When you use your CAR


The idea of ​​this section is to get a pretty good car and keep it beautiful and keep your paperwork.

Living near a big city
Buy a salable car
Keep your car clean while you
Perform and document routine maintenance in your home
Keep all your car papers and on the life of the car
Having a clean title (or not)

Living near a big city


I describe this strategy will not be as effective in a small market. I'm in San Diego, so I chose a good place to live. If you keep your house in the woods or a small town, you should go stay with friends in a big city nearby for the weekend and it will be worth your time.

Buy a salable car


I do not know what that means, except to say - do not buy something weird in the first place. Crazy paint jobs and strange quirks in your car are not good outlets. Consider the resale value when you make your car buying. If it's too late - you have to sell what you have. Hopefully another crazy like you looking for a car on the same weekend that you sell.

In my case, I had a nice boring white 2005 Hyundai Elantra that everyone loves, so I had a good car for sale.

Keep your beautiful car in the first place


My car has been very little used. Anyone who lives commented beautiful interior. I was outside ringing, bumpy pavement wheels, and even a small slice of the bumper, but nobody cared.

I've heard horror stories of my buyers on dirty cars they had seen inside ransacked. How is it, people? I'm not a fussy person. If I can keep my nice car, if you can. Go clean this weekend, just to get started on your way to wealth.



Perform and document routine maintenance in your home


A few hundred dollars or less per year will save you in the long run. Find an honest mechanic and get the oil changed a few times a year. Ask your mechanic will tell you what to do to keep the car running smoothly. The car will work best for you and it will drive a higher resale value when you sell it.

I used the dealer exclusively on the life of the car. They, Frank Hyundai in San Diego, have been very good for me. They adjusted my interview I had such low mileage program.



Keep all your car papers and on the life of the car


I had all my maintenance records, manuals and control smog, and all the papers related to the car in a folder that I have kept all these years. Now my buyers are happy beneficiaries of this paper brick for their reading pleasure.



Having a clean title (or not)


A salvage title is on a lot of cars in California. I think it means that the car was in an accident report. Try not to happen!

I'm not sure to sell your car if you still have a loan on it. If you do, your lien holder must release your ready to sell. This is why people end up in the concession. They know what to do there. I was happy not to have to worry about this problem. My title was clean and had me on it.

AS YOU DECIDE TO SELL

Figure out what you are doing before you start and clean your car

Research Award in General
Price search on Craigslist
Start writing your ad
Choose your weekend sale
Find an assistant for your test drives
Get your oil changed and get a written inspection of your mechanic
For a smog check or vehicle inspection
Fix any damage you want to correct


Research Prize in general


I checked Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book about once a year for the duration I had the car. I looked about 500-1000 dollars off the value of the car each year. It gave me comfort to the beach I saw last fall:

A "good" condition Hyundai was $ 4,500 to $ 6.500 in the low to high-end Kelly and Edmund sites.

I felt my car get at least the relatively small amount to be conservative.

I considered my car in good, but not excellent, condition. In retrospect - I was wrong - my car was in excellent condition in its class. Which takes into account thousands of dollars more than I had. Is not it wonderful accounting? I feel overwhelmed me now.

But what sets my low self-esteem in another way not to evaluate my car correctly. Obesity is a terrible number on your psyche

I looked at ads for secondhand car dealers repeatedly find that comparable cars sold tens of thousands of dollars to the dealership and had generally 80,000 to 120,000 miles on them. This is my 40,000 miles look good.


Price search on Craigslist


This is your most important resource prices because many buyers will not previous research Craigslist. You want your ad to be better written and more expensive than the average for the announcement. You also want to have a competitive list based on what you see in other ads over several weeks.

I looked at Craigslist a few times and I found some similar to mine all the cars. I knew that my car was desirable, so I thought I was ready to go. Again, I realize the value of my car at this point in the game.

Most ads on Craigslist were not good - to be kind. Your good pub will definitely stand out. You can easily make the top 10% of best ads with little effort. Do not trust me, just get five minutes and you'll see a lot of bad advertisements of used cars and some good.


Start writing your ad


Launch a file list everything you can think about your car that could be of interest to a buyer document. You will write the epic true story of the time you have owned this car, you should forget anything.

Read my announcement of inspiration as well as "good" ads you see on Craigslist as you search.

Divide your thinking about your fabulous Used car in these categories:

The basic facts about the car
Le Bon on the car
Evil car
Your sale details


Choose your weekend sale


Your weekend sale begins when you place your ad Friday midday and run until you sell, what is hopefully your bank on Saturday or Monday morning.

Find an assistant for your test drives


I used my son, who is 20 years old and six feet tall. This made me feel more secure as a woman, but in reality turned out to be useless. My first two attempts were made by myself and went well. Saturday and Sunday, I met a lot of nice people who wanted a car. Nobody made me feel uncomfortable in any way.

I think you should always have someone with you, even if you have to pay.



Get your oil changed and get a written inspection of your mechanic


This will ensure that you do not have a nail in the tire or belt or something that will break right when you sell the car. This will give you a clean bill of health to show your buyers.

OR

Necessary repairs will be described and you have set and the receipt or tell potential buyers that it depends if you want to fix it or not.

For a smog check or vehicle inspection


In California, I need a smog check within 90 days of the date of sale to be legal. My buyers have had two days to go before that I did in January expired. They went directly to the DMV after I leave, so I'm sure there was no problem.

Fix any damage you want to correct


You can also fix the damage rather than disclose. Once it is fixed - it is fixed.

I had a chip in the windshield and I fixed it. He had been there for three years, and I felt nervous that he would spread like I sold the car. This is the kind of person I am.

I used this type of Yelp recommended that appeared at my house with his girlfriend and charged me only $ 35 to fill the chip and gave me all kinds of information on windshield interesting. I will soon post on him, and I highly recommend it if you are in Chula Vista downtown and have a problem with auto glass you need fixed. It will lead you to fix a chip. If you really need the windshield replaced you go to his shop CV.

Other than the glass chip, I had what I thought was a lot of damage to the body composed of dings and scratches. It turns out that many of my bosses cleaned right and disappeared with cleaning $ 30 that I had. All people who have seen the car do not care about remaining on the paint and small dents in the metal marks. They hardly looked when I showed them to people. I was shocked by this behavior. I felt bad in my outside, but it really does not matter. People care a lot more clean inside.

In short - do not worry about minor damage to your vehicle.




WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SELL

 Clean and photograph the car, get your pictures posted and ready for the big weekend

Have the car professionally cleaned
Wipe the car yourself before shooting
Photographing the car with hundreds of photos from all angles
Treat your photos
Download a crowd photos
Caption your photos
Plan where you will have your test drives will take place
Price of your vehicle
Finalize your ad



Have the car professionally cleaned

Surprise! A professional car cleaning is dramatically cleaner than the mess I had before.

All I can say is "Wow!" I wish someone would have had explained to me that when I own the car and actually led a few years ago. If I had professionally cleaned even once a year, it would have been worth my while peace alone. The car looked great for $ 35 + tip and I will be writing a review of this wonderful experience soon.

At least half of my little dings and scratches disappeared in professional cleaning. I did not pay for a full detailing. I just got a cleaning a car detailer high end. You have in your city. Search Yelp. Cleaning one of these professionals has increased the value of the car when I sold it.

I think everyone should follow the career path, because it is such a dramatic difference in the appearance of the car. (See my photos of the interior).

Clean the car again


Someone in your opinion on the internet. The idea is that the next day you get the car professionally cleaned you out with towels, paper towels and water and go to the car again - just to make sure.

I took this advice skeptical, thinking that I could not improve the professional cleaning, I just received yesterday. But instead, I found the water drops and dirt that had fallen during the night and some random dusty surfaces, streaks and missed spots in cleaning. There was also a thin layer of dust just to sit overnight.

I thought: "It's nice $ 35 guy just cleaned your car all your crap about eight years. Be grateful. You can not expect complete perfection for $ 35. "

I spent less than 15 minutes around the car and climbing in and out of each seat and stick my head around and wiping things again. It was absolutely worth it because the camera does not lie. My car was absolutely beautiful for photos if I may.

My extra dry was 100% worth it in the sale of the car. The cleanliness was a big selling point on testing.

Photographing the car with hundreds of photos


The number of shots is not a typo. Look at my photos related to the top and you will see that I posted a lot of photos posted my ad to go with Flickr. I took at least 5 times and much narrowed to what you see in the final result.

I have all kinds of thoughts on the side of the photograph of this and will write about it soon, but you can get the idea by looking at my photos.

Shooting all the possible things that could be of interest to any potential buyer. Your photographs are as clear and concise as you can.

Treat your Photos


The better your photos, the better the car will show and sell.

The intention to take and then re-take the pictures that are not good for the first time.

Do not post dark, bad, blurry pictures, but do not worry if they are not perfect.

If you can take pictures that are taken well composed and well lit faithful about it, you may not need to deal with and you can just let 'r rip.



Upload to a site like Flickr


Flickr is an easy to use site. If you have Yahoo, you Flickr. If you Google, you need to picture their website I can not remember the name. There are also a million other free places to put pictures. Simply upload your photos and remove unnecessary duplication or bad you add captions. You will link to this site from your Craigslist ad which only allows you miserable 8 photos in your ad.



Legend Your Photos


The legends are essential to make people go through all your photos and your point of each image. What seems obvious to you is not always obvious to others, so be thorough and descriptive, informative and as entertaining as possible in your captions. You want people to go through your entire slideshow and see the car so that their questions are answered before they contact you.

At least three people just looked at my car when they arrived here. After the car seems to be the same as the photos, they have everything they need to know and have lost interest in everything, but the way he led and what price I would take for it.



Plan where you will have your test drives will take place


I messed up here. Choose a good open parking available. Mine was too complicated to make. You can be on the side of a wide, quiet street, but you also want to be around people for safety. Parking of fast food is a good bet, because it is still very accessible, well populated, and generally safe to leave the car park of the buyer while you test drive.

Plan two ways - one for people who just want a very short drive and the other for people who want to go on the highway. Most of my test pilots went on the road to the highway that had less than 15 minutes for the journey back to their car.



Price your vehicle


Here are things to think about when you set a price for your Craigslist ad.

Set a price - Tips say not to set a price. I disagree.
Set high, fair price - Be reasonable, go with your gut.
Be prepared to negotiate



Finalize your ad


Create a good title with the key points of the year, make, model, mileage, condition

Your ad is divided into three main sections.

Want an upper section of "Just the Facts". Inform all short car details in bullet points. Some people do not read past this article. See the top of my Craigslist posting for an example of this short description.

Your second section is "The Fabulous Story of My Car", for me, the person who loves so much. This must be a factual drama. Telling the stories of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly on your car. Explain why you sell, when you bought it, all the details of damage and more. If it happened in your car and has a visible mark - say about it.

Finally close with all your sales which eliminates the need to deal with fraudsters. Nice people will be comforted by your plans and your average people will not bother with your well prepared car. They are the people with bad ads.

MARKET YOUR CAR
 
Post your ad, respond to your buyers, negotiate

Choose your top 8 pictures Craigslist ad
Be ready, be ready, be ready
Post your ad for Craigslist
Respond to e-mails
Schedule Road Tests
Perform road test
Solicit bids and accept the above offer

Choose your top 8 pictures Craigslist ad

1 - Main Photo great angle shot of the outside of each front side
2 - Other Exterior
3 - Interior
1 - odometer reading with the date stamp on it your device
1 - Quirky, interesting picture that attracts attention.





Be ready, be ready, be ready


... In email and talk to people. There can not be enough that you will receive an immediate response to your Craigslist ad said. My first reaction was in my email within 2 minutes of posting my ad. I got four responses within an hour. You must be willing to communicate with potential buyers as soon as you post your ad.

I have a neighbor who has registered his car on Craigslist with no strategy at all and he had eight responses, it is a good place to put your car, no matter what. You'll get quick answers to your ad.



Post your ad for Craigslist


Your timing to publish your ad:

After midnight on Thursday at 11 am on Friday,



This is the sweet spot of time to post your ad. You want to catch people who plan their weekends on Friday afternoon. I missed these people by posting my ad to 19 pm on Friday, because I did not have my act together soon enough. Do not make my mistake.

Setting up a Craigslist account and your ad is a very quick and easy once you are ready process.



Send your ad link to friends via email and other friends


I sent a blast email to my contacts, my LinkedIn contacts and I made an announcement to my friends Spark. I do not have Facebook or twitter or something.



Respond to e-mails


I listed an e-mail address in the ad. It let people asked a few questions before we speak. Very few people have been eliminated in the email exchanges for one reason or another.

Some people will ask you for your VIN. I gave them. Some people will ask a specific question you have not addressed. Most people will simply ask to see the car.



Schedule Road Tests


I followed the advice of talking to people on the phone to set up the test drive. This is to get an idea of ​​the buyer and their severity. In all but one case, I had a good phone call.

I would ask people to describe, but people usually tells me a lot about themselves, while asking about the car and the road test. I felt comfortable with everyone except for one person who does not have test drive.



Perform road test


I showed the car seven times. I planned roads and drivers were happy to take my direction. Most took the route of the road. A person considered the head of the car to toe, crawl under and open it.

Most pilots hardly looked the car. They do not seem to pay much attention on the road either.



Solicit bids and accept the above offer


I conducted an auction with my email bidders. Of the seven people on my list offers five bid the first time and three bids for the second time. I took the highest offer of $ 7.400. The second offer was also well above my price range of $ 6000, while I was in good shape.

You can also take the first offer you get and cancel your test drives to come. I think you will get less for the car this way, but you never know.

Finalize your SALEThis is where you get paid and have fun.

Complete the sale
Contact the DMV
Cancel the insurance of the vehicle
Feel happy and celebrate



WHY this plan works
Using this program attracts qualified buyers who really want your car.

Your car is fully described in the announcement
Your ad stand out
Scam buyers are disabled in your ad
Good buyers are happy with your ad
You sell your car clean on the condition advertised
You are comfortable with your price
You're comfortable with your plan


It is a plan to sell your used car in a city served by Craigslist. You need a market of interested people who want your car. In a small town or rural area of this strategy can only be successful.

You do not have to do each part or have just done this work. I have not done everything right and I still am. Just be honest and open and do the best you can. You will do better this way without a plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment