Thursday, September 19, 2013

New on the bike: First Impressions - Kawasaki ER-5

I have motorcycle license since 2006. Since then, many times, I've thought about buying one of these devices that many people described as "extremely dangerous." I have always valued their advantages and disadvantages, and have always outweighed the reasons against.
Almost when I least expect, and a series of coincidences that are irrelevant, I bought one. A motor bike with gears and all, not a scooter (I was tempted). I never thought my first bike would be 500 cubic inches and 50 horsepower: a Kawasaki ER5, seven years old. Some suggest that it is excessive for someone with my experience and on the opposite end who defines it as "ideal for starters." My view is different.
It does not seem excessive for an adult not only old but also behavior. The bike does not run by itself. Nor is it a sport wild, very maneuverable or oblige forced to take a position. I also disagree with those who say "ideal start," as if once learned you had to throw away as useless. It seems to me a bike enough for someone who, with or without experience, need relatively inexpensive travel many miles through the city and surrounding area, and even want to travel fairly long. We'll see if my perception changes over time.

The biggest drawback I find to travel is the low wind protection that gives (this claim could be worth a greater or lesser extent for all bikes that, like the Kawa ER-5, no fairing or windshield), but his power is more than enough, I would say, almost everything. It has a power to weight ratio of about 5 kg / CV (including a middleweight driver) which is almost the same as having a Porsche Cayman. I do not know if I need more power later, but with the little experience I have now and making normal use, too much.
I have not said so far, but I really do not need a bike. Usually I travel by car, by bike or public transport (in which I manage well and it is no disgrace for a car tester). I bought a bike to be sure. Yes, to know, once and for all, if I like, if I can take a decent and if it is a good means of transport to the city and beyond, both in summer and winter.
Kawasaki ER-5
So far, my experience in this mode of transport is quite small. I have taken only two or three scooters «125» and two gear bikes (Honda Varadero) of the same displacement. At times they have been for hire. In total, I estimate that up to the date of purchase of my bike, my experience in this mode of transport was about 600 kilometers ridiculous. On top were small bikes.
I'll never forget the first time I got to my "brand" Kawa after the former owner gave me the keys and a good explanation of all that should be considered. Arrived safely to the ground, no problem, but I looked big and heavy. It seemed to go on the bridge of a tanker controls. I did not know how I was going to make do, but I had to settle for no one was coming to get me out of trouble and nobody was going to take the bike to my house.
By the way I expected before Torrejón de Ardoz - Aluche. Without another thought, geared first gear and quickly the second. I try to do normally for the former owner, who confirmed the rearview mirror is me "watching" - I think not a "package", but something smelled. Before you hit the open road, I spent about half an hour to run on a development to start automating the gestures of the various controls and to me with low speed handling of a bike that, with liquids, not far below 200 kg.
The first feelings were much better than I predicted. I was helping a lot of little motitos accumulated experience in past years. After consuming a while walking around the complex almost deserted, it was time to go home. That summer afternoon I decided to take the ring road M-45 to avoid traffic and intermittent stoppages. I do not think I went from 90 km / h was comfortable except converge somewhere where several roads and traffic density increases significantly. I come home much more relaxed than I left. I park in the garage. I can even upload it to stand. I feel strong. Quiet respite.
From that time to date (four weeks) have traveled about 1600 km (can you tell I've been holidaying on bike, always based on short journeys). The improvement has been, as long as you learn something from almost zero, exponentially. I almost completely automated process to shift gears and to brake in an orderly manner (starting with the rear brake gently to get "settle" the bike and continuing forward to effectively curb). I also costs less to change direction, handle me in traffic, hill starts, be comfortable above 100 km / h, etc.. A friend told me that in a long will melt the feeling with the bike. I still see far away, but little by little, with the progress I have made, I begin to understand what it means. The first day I had not understood at all.
Kawasaki ER-5
To date, the main problem I find is the lack of confidence to deal with slow corners or stockings with agility (although I progress, I must say). I'm afraid to ask too much lateral grip and skid risk falling. I'm sure that fear makes me stay very far from the real limit. Consequently, no nothing and I tumble slowly. The footrests can breathe calm. Sure you could swing more with good safety margin, but not easy for me to implement it. That fear also does not always take the corners well drawn, but several "phases". Although I say, every day I noticed improvement amount.
When I drive a car "feel" well what happens. Clearly perceive how the body is bent at all times, I feel the wheel contact with the floor and the approximate feel-yes-adherence remains. In moto notice a lot less. I get the impression that address a curve at high speed, is based on a combination of faith and experience in previous events, all based on a quick visual inspection of the condition of the road. Some quick and experienced bikers I confirm that, indeed, a bike "feels" worse than a car, but also gives clues "in his way" to when you are reaching the limits of adhesion.
I'm almost convinced that never lead you a bike with the ease with which management consider a car. It's not very good driving, but took many years to do so and actively being interested on how to do more or less optimal. I'll never have access to training that I've had drive, or pass many hours under his control, and many different models handle it every day. So my goal is to learn to ride a motorcycle dignity and to feel comfortable in all circumstances, while overstated the safety measures to leave as little as possible to chance.
In this post I tried counting roughly some of my views and feelings as novice biker (Javier Molto something that takes time doing in his blog , although he has much more experience). Surely someone helps. In subsequent entries may tell you my impressions on living with the bike in town, the first trips or any matter it deems of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment